Saturday, January 21, 2012

Alien Blossom coffee table

An oldie but goodie, I made this several years ago, mostly just to see if I could do it, and I guess, also to figure out if I was any good at making stuff. As a result, I have no process photos, just the finished ones. I was new, so I didn't understand the value of documenting my work.

Vector drawing based on the now, long-lost original sketch.



It took about two weeks to design & build. The whole thing is made from a single sheet of maple plywood (to save material cost & waste), and the surface pattern was carefully stained a different color by hand with a small art brush.




Not a bad first attempt at making furniture. In a way, this build is where I started & why I chose to carry on with industrial design. I was proud of it, so it motivated me to keep going and make new things.

No comments:

Post a Comment